Raine & Horne Kaitaia
You are viewing an article that is not currently active

Where can tenants seek help for emergency accommodation?

February 21, 2023

Cyclone Gabrielle was the worst storm to hit New Zealand this century, and it has left many NZ tenants displaced as the storm devastates large parts of the North Island.

“Cyclone Gabrielle is the most significant weather event New Zealand has seen this century. The severity and the damage that we are seeing has not been experienced in a generation,” the prime minister, Chris Hipkins, told a press conference on Tuesday 14 February.

“We are still building a picture of the effects of the cyclone as it continues to unfold. But what we do know is the impact is significant and it is widespread.”

Check your insurance cover!

House and contents policies typically include temporary accommodation benefits, including those held by renters. If it’s not possible to stay in your home, call your insurer as soon as possible. If you can stay in your home, it is best to lodge your insurance claim online.

If renters need to move out of the property due to severe damage or tenancy termination due to uninhabitability caused by Cyclone Gabrielle, they can seek assistance for emergency accommodation at one of the Evacuation Centres across Auckland set up by Auckland Emergency Management, or from WINZ who can provide both accommodation and emergency assistance payments.

There may also be options available through the Temporary Accommodation Service. Also please call 111 if you feel in any danger.

Also please call Kainga Ora Homes and Communities’ Customer Support Centre on 0800 801 601 if you need to communicate something urgent about your home. We are here to help.

Cyclone Gabrielle has also worsened the impacts for those communities recovering from recent floods. People in Auckland who need emergency flood assistance can phone 0800 22 22 00.

Please stay safe and our thoughts are with you.

For more information about responding to flood damage to your rental home, contact your local Raine & Horne office.